A couple weeks ago, I went in for an LED facial (simply to try it out and see what all the fuss was about). When I got in there, my esthetician recommended that instead I do microdermabrasion because she noticed I needed exfoliation. I’ve been a loyal Cetaphil user since high school and never really found an exfoliant I loved, so I would simply do it whenever I remembered to (which wasn’t too often). I was very lax about it and figured that was fine since I rarely had any noticeable breakouts.
After my facial, my skin felt amazing. It was clean, soft and oh so dewy. I was obsessed! I literally glistened. My esthetician gave me a routine to follow and I went home totally pumped. Then, a couple days later, I noticed I was waking up with tiny whiteheads between my eyebrows and on my forehead. This never happens to me, so of course I started freaking out and figured the facial was a complete waste of money. Despite, my reservations, my friends and family told me this was totally normal (that my skin was pushing out all the dirt) and that I should just be patient. I decided to stick with the new routine and two weeks later, I’m here to tell you I couldn’t be happier! I have added products into my nighttime and morning routine that have totally changed the quality of my skin for the best. Not only do I no longer have those tiny breakouts, but my skin feels smooth to the touch (before, I could feel some of the roughness, even if I couldn’t see it).
I’m now fully committed to making my skin a priority and not base my routine simply around what I can actually see. I plan on getting a light facial (by light I mean reasonably priced) every month to keep my skin bright and smooth. In the meantime, here is the routine that I have developed that has been a total game-changer.
- In the shower (I’m a night showerer), I wash my make-up off with Cetaphil (I will always love this stuff).
- Three times a week, I’ll follow up the Cetaphil with my esthetician recommended scrub, Rhonda Allison Brightening Scrub.
- Once out of the shower, I pat my face dry and use a cotton pad to apply Aesop Parsley Seed Toner.
- Once that absorbs a little, I apply Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate all over my face and neck. (Ummm, this article was just published today on Buzzfeed and totally supports my love for a nighttime oil!! You have to try it now, Buzzfeed said so!)
- I don’t like splashing water on my face in the morning, so lately I have simply used an organic facial wipe to clean off my face. I have been experimenting with different brands, but so far my favorites are Pacifica Coconut Wipes and Burt’s Bees Sensitive Facial Wipes.
- I will again use a cotton pad to apply my Aesop Parsley Seed Toner.
- Lastly, I apply a moisturizer with as high of SPF as I can find. For dry days I use Aesop Sage & Zinc Facial Hydrating Cream SPF 15 (it’s a thick, heavy duty formula) and for days when I walk to work (and don’t want to be shiny from a moisturizer/sweat combo) I use Aveeno Positively Radiant SPF 30.
What’s your must-have skincare products?